Miyazaki prefecture is introducing new regulations to make bicycle-riding safer
These ordinances are adopted by the prefecture to further safety when using a bicycle and are to be observed.
The new rules will come into effect on and after April 1, 2021
Who does it concern?
People who ride a bicycle within Miyazaki prefecture
(1) Join a bicycle insurance
This type of insurance will apply when you (fatally) injure someone in the context of riding your bicycle.
Who is required to insure his/her bicycle?
1) People who ride a bicycle (20 years and above)
2) Parents or legal guardians (If they have children under 20 who use a bicycle)
3) People who ride a bicycle work-related
4) People whose company is renting bicycles to customers (rental services, bike sharing etc.)
You can find a list of insurance companies that offer bicycle insurances on the website of Miyazaki prefecture.
(2) When riding a bicycle in road traffic, similar rules apply as when driving a car.
* Stop at traffic lights
*In principle you are obligated to ride your bike on the roadway (the car lane).
* You are to ride your bicycle on the left side of the road.
*You must not ride your bicycle when intoxicated.
* Turn on the bicycle light when it is dark.
* Do not distract yourself by doing other things when riding your bicycle (listening to music, playing with your phone, holding an umbrella)
*One bicycle, one person.
*When riding your bike in a group, make sure to stay form a line.
*(Especially) children should wear a helmet.
Be sure to…
1) Wear a helmet!
2) Be sure to check your bicycle for functionality before riding it.